Fast Traveling

Randwarf

Fast Traveling

Postby Randwarf » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:59 am

Hey! I started wondering how are you going to incorporate fast traveling into your game, if at all. Are you going to put places where you can teleport from place to place for a price (like carts in skyrim) or is it going to be free, or maybe you can teleport from anywhere to certain points (like map in skyrim) or something else?
I love dwarves!
devotedtoneurosis
Site Admin

Re: Fast Traveling

Postby devotedtoneurosis » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:40 pm

Randwarf wrote:Hey! I started wondering how are you going to incorporate fast traveling into your game, if at all. Are you going to put places where you can teleport from place to place for a price (like carts in skyrim) or is it going to be free, or maybe you can teleport from anywhere to certain points (like map in skyrim) or something else?

What a great question! It's a major element of gameplay that we've had set in stone for a few months but have been discussing again lately.

Here's Crown Island as you see it in the trailer, a WIP sketch that doesn't feature the towns yet:

But here's something we haven't shared yet at all, the in-game map of Crown Island:

Now everything we've shown so far happens between the lower-left-most squares. The lowest left is the Farm and the second is Mill Town. As you can see, the world will be fairly big, so fast-travel will be important.

We're designing the overworld in a way that allows you to open paths and shortcuts to places you've already been, something we were really inspired by after playing The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. If any of you have played that game you'll surely remember rolling logs and pushing boulders to make returning to previous areas easier. We have something a little more dramatic in mind.

But what monster game is complete without the ability to hop on top of your powerful sky monster and soar to your destination?

We're not ready to show it off just yet, but you won't need to worry about keeping certain moves on your monsters to move around on them. It'll be a painless feature for sure!

Keep your eye out for areas with plenty of Raptors...

Zaiwolfgang

Postby Zaiwolfgang » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:39 am

So is it going to be like pokemon where its insta-travel or is it like closer to riding latios/latias in omega ruby/alpha sapphire or is it something entirely different.

Also how many crownies are you intending to have be able to be ridden?

devotedtoneurosis
Site Admin

Postby devotedtoneurosis » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:12 am

Zaiwolfgang wrote:So is it going to be like pokemon where its insta-travel or is it like closer to riding latios/latias in omega ruby/alpha sapphire or is it something entirely different.

It's different. It's a little in-between combined with some new elements. We're still working hard to make it exactly how we want it so we can't be too specific just yet.

Zaiwolfgang wrote:Also how many crownies are you intending to have be able to be ridden?

How many? Well... any less than "all of them" would be unacceptable, wouldn't it? 8-)
Randwarf

Postby Randwarf » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:55 pm

But I believe something like qumulo would be a worse mount than lets say stamsteed. Will there be any differeces beetween mounts?
I love dwarves!
devotedtoneurosis
Site Admin

Postby devotedtoneurosis » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:13 pm

Randwarf wrote:But I believe something like qumulo would be a worse mount than lets say stamsteed. Will there be any differeces beetween mounts?

Yep! You can ride any of your monsters on land, some monsters you can ride on the waves too, with differing speeds.

Return to “General Discussion”